Miles Richmond 1922-2008
Durham Cathedral, 1980
59 x 78 cms 23 1/4 x 30 3/4 in
Built in 1093, Nikolaus Pevsner called Durham Cathedral 'one of the great architectural experiences of Europe', and in this charcoal study, Richmond captures the building's massive Romanesque presence by taking his viewpoint from the west facade looking northeast. He made this study around 1980, just after he, his son Philip and the painter and sculptor David Seaton rebuilt The Motor House (the former chauffeurs' quarters for Sir Issac Lowthian Bell's Rounton Grange) into an influential summer school. When Harry Thubron opened the school in the summer of 1981, Richmond took advantage of a much needed break to take a sketching trip through County Durham.
Click here to read more about Miles Richmond.